Master Data is a very hot topic in the BI world, but it keeps being an elusive subject. Microsoft have released a first answer to solve the master data problem with Master Data Services in SQL Server 2008 R2.
I have installed the tool but I am a little unsure what now .. this post will contain all links and observations i have read about Master Data Services, what it is and how to implement it. When your read this and have more links please drop a comment with the link.
- MDS = Master Data Services
- Wikipedia on MDS
- Golden oldie: The What, Why, and How of Master Data Management
- Master Data Services – What’s the big deal?
- Kirk Haselden’s Kirkapedia (MDS product manager, although he doesn’t blog much)
- Beyenetwork: What is Master Data?
- Demystifying Master Data Management
- Information managements Top 5 Master Data Management Misconceptions
- Escaping the Spiral With MDM-Led Customer Care
- Beyenetwork: MDM Architecture Options: Evaluating Traditional and SOA-Based Approaches
- Beyenetwork: When Data Can’t Be Trusted, Master Data Management Becomes “Plan B”
- Master Data Services Books On Line
- Shaun ryan blog
Two tips when you want to install MDS:
- To install you need a 64 bits OS
- The setup is separate from SQL Server in the Master Data Services folder
I hope this will get you started a bit on the concept of MDS. I myself find the product hard to understand, i have talked on this with MS and they agree and they try to address this very soon with some more publicity.